Did you know that there is a version of The Construction Index for the USA? Visit the site No thanks
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on LinkedIn Follow us on Instagram
Daily construction news
Weekly plant news

Construction News

Tue June 28 2016

Related Information
Related Information
Related Information
Related Information

News » UK » Complex Didcot recovery operation set to take ‘many weeks’ » published 2 Mar 2016

Complex Didcot recovery operation set to take ‘many weeks’

Emergency services in Oxfordshire have said that it will take “many, many weeks” to complete the recovery operation at Didcot A Power Station, where three people are still missing following the partial collapse of a building being demolished.

The families of people missing since last week’s incident have now returned home. “The recovery of the bodies and site investigation will be a very complex operation and I envisage it will be many, many weeks before it is completed,” said assistant chief constable Scott Chilton. “We are working closely with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to establish the cause of the incident.”

The instability of the structure has hampered search and rescue efforts (link opens in new tab).

An update from the county council says that the emergency services continue to work closely together to establish how best to recover the bodies of the three people and maintain the safety of everyone involved in the operation on a highly unstable site.

Chief fire officer Dave Etheridge added: “Our thoughts very much continue to be with the families of those who have lost their lives and I would like to reassure them that we are doing all we can to return their loved ones to them. I believe the emergency service teams working on site are the best in the world and know they are using their experience and expertise to the limits.”

Will Hancock, chief executive of South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust (SCAS), said: “I would like to thank the many SCAS staff who attended the incident at Didcot A Power Station last week and who triaged and treated over 50 casualties, before taking five people to hospital. Our Hazardous Area Response Team has remained on site since the collapse and we continue to provide support to the recovery teams carrying out their difficult task.”

 

 

MPU

Further Images

Download our free construction news iPhone / iPad app. Sign up to our FREE email newsletters or subscribe to our RSS feed for regular updates on the latest Construction News, Plant News, Contract News & Supplier News. The Construction Index also provides the latest Construction Tenders, Construction Market Data & Construction Law Commentary all FREE.

This article was published on 2 Mar 2016 (last updated on 3 Mar 2016).

More News Channels