Did you know that there is a version of The Construction Index for the USA? Visit the site No thanks
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on LinkedIn Follow us on Instagram
Daily construction news
Weekly plant news

Construction News

Sun August 20 2017

Related Information
Related Information
Related Information

News » UK » Kingston introduces new degree apprenticeship course » published 28 Jul 2017

Kingston introduces new degree apprenticeship course

Kingston University has launched a new degree apprenticeship designed to equip the next generation of civil engineers to meet industry needs.

The five-year Civil Engineering Degree Apprenticeship programme will see successful apprentices graduate with a BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering degree, culminating in an end-point assessment carried out by the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE). It will involve a mix of taught and work-based modules, with students spending around 20% of their time at Kingston University and the remaining 80% in the workplace.

Providing budding engineers with the opportunity to gain vital, hands-on industry experience alongside their studies is key to addressing a skills shortage in the profession, said Kingston University's Professor Mukesh Limbachiya.

The integrated approach to learning is intended to provide graduates with the knowledge and tools to hit the ground running when they begin their careers, said Limbachiya, who is interim head of the School of Engineering. The aim is that will also allow them to adapt quickly to the emerging needs of the industry.

"The engineering sector is experiencing something of a skills gap and we need to ensure we are addressing their needs – marrying technical expertise through studies with professional competencies from on-the-job experience," he said.

Degree apprenticeships would increasingly provide a significant route for tomorrow's engineers to gain skills, qualifications, knowledge and experience, said Limbachiya, as well as providing them with the toolkit to develop practical solutions for complex civil engineering projects.

The new programme was introduced to a range of industry leaders at a networking forum. Among those addressing delegates at the event was Andrew Stanley, head of education policy at the ICE, who said the pace of change in the industry meant the demand for flexible, experienced graduates had never been higher. "It is well-known that civil engineering currently has an age-profile skewed toward those approaching retirement," he said. "It is essential that the industry employs, trains, grows and retains its workforce, and figures show that those who have served apprenticeships are more likely to stay loyal to their organisation and sector."

Giving apprentices the chance to enrol on a degree programme simultaneously meant that they would be able to apply what they learn in their studies directly in a work setting, Stanley said. "There will always be a need to understand fundamental engineering principles, but it is the most adaptable, creative and outward-looking graduates who will always be in the highest demand," he added.

 

 

MPU

Download our free construction news iPhone / iPad app. Sign up to our FREE email newsletters or subscribe to our RSS feed for regular updates on the latest Construction News, Plant News, Contract News & Supplier News. The Construction Index also provides the latest Construction Tenders, Construction Market Data & Construction Law Commentary all FREE.

This article was published on 28 Jul 2017 (last updated on 28 Jul 2017).

More News Channels