Did you know that there is a version of The Construction Index for the USA? Visit the site No thanks
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on LinkedIn Follow us on Instagram
Daily construction news
Weekly plant news

Construction News

Wed April 26 2017

Related Information
Related Information
Related Information
Related Information

News » UK » Sandwell sidings to become sleeper factory » published 6 Apr 2017

Sandwell sidings to become sleeper factory

Network Rail has earmarked a site in Sandwell railway sidings for the construction of a sleeper factory

The site in Bescot Above: The site in Bescot

If approved, the new facility is expected to produce up to 600,000 concrete sleepers a year, accounting for 60% of Britain’s supply of a million sleepers. Network Rail’s other factory in Doncaster will provide the remaining 40%.

The proposed site at Bescot will be directly connected to the rail network making it quicker and easier to transport the sleepers around Britain, Network Rail said.

Martin Frobisher, Network Rail’s London & North Western route managing director, said: “Bescot is ideally placed at the heart of the rail network to provide sleepers across Britain. We are in discussion with the local council to carry out an environmental assessment of the proposed factory and its impact on the surrounding area before we fully consult with local people and stakeholders on our plans.”

 

Download our free construction news iPhone / iPad app. Sign up to our FREE email newsletters or subscribe to our RSS feed for regular updates on the latest Construction News, Plant News, Contract News & Supplier News. The Construction Index also provides the latest Construction Tenders, Construction Market Data & Construction Law Commentary all FREE.

This article was published on 6 Apr 2017 (last updated on 6 Apr 2017).

More News Channels