Hope Valley, Derbyshire
Breedon is a leading construction materials group in the UK and Ireland. We operate two cement plants, around 80 quarries, 40 asphalt plants, 170 ready-mixed concrete and mortar plants, nine concrete and clay products plants, four contract surfacing businesses, six import/export terminals and two slate production facilities.
We have an exciting opportunity within the Quality Team at Hope Cement Works. This is a hands-on role in a busy laboratory working with the operational teams and supporting day to day production in a 24/7 manufacturing environment. An eye for detail is critical to ensure the close monitoring of finished product performance and compliance to relevant standards whilst providing support and information for customers.
Reporting to the Laboratory Supervisor, and working closely with the quality team, this role has the responsibility for:
- Implementation and monitoring of key laboratory techniques including XRF and XRD
- Investigation and implementation of new test methods, sampling techniques and optimisation of existing methods
- Supporting the laboratory supervisor in the operation of the laboratory on a day to day to basis, providing reliable analytical services for quality control and process optimisation
- Ensure the effective operation of laboratory proficiency processes
- As part of the quality team, liaise with and monitor production shift teams to ensure adequate training and compliance with established laboratory procedures
- To assist in monitoring day to day quality performance to ensure reliable product for the customer
- To ensure prompt production of routine quality data including report writing
- To monitor external quality data and liaise with external laboratories
- To ensure compliance with all relevant statutory legislation and the internal company Safety, Health and Environmental Standards
- Deputise for the Laboratory Supervisor as and when required
- Conduct management system and technical quality audits
- Supporting the operational team outside of core working hours
- Minimum A level in a science related subject and/or knowledge and experience of cement, construction or material sciences preferred
- Good standard of written & numerical literacy - including effective report writing
- Excellent data handling skills
- Proven practical experience and knowledge of working in laboratory undertaking a range of sampling techniques, physical testing and chemical analysis
- Understanding of key health, safety and environmental requirements within the laboratory environment (IOSH qualifications would be ideal)
- Calibration and monitoring of analytical equipment
- Experience of working to European/British standards and product certification schemes, and/or working within business management systems to ISO 9001, 14001 and 45001
- IT literate, particularly with laboratory management systems and Microsoft applications
- Excellent teamworking, communication and organisational skills
- Experience of auditing
The Group places the highest importance on sustained standards of excellence in all aspects of Health, Safety and Environmental management and you will be expected to contribute to the Company's zero harm culture.
A competitive remuneration package will be offered including pension and life assurance.
By applying for this role, your details will be sent to Ortolan People, who are acting as consultants for the hiring company. Ortolan People are engaged to provide recruitment support in processing applications. We will endeavour to respond to all applicants within three working days. Occasionally for roles with a very high volume of applicants, this may not be possible.
Apply for this job