Balfour Beatty Civil Engineering has been awarded the construction contract for the refurbishment of the Forth Road Bridge.
Client for the £13.6m project is Forth Estuary Transport Authority
The project involves the replacement or, in some cases, refurbishment of the roller bearings and rocker bearings on the north and south approach viaducts of the existing Forth Road Bridge, together with associated concrete repairs to the approach piers and strengthening to the steel box superstructures.
Permanent provision for this and future bearing replacement is to be installed at all piers.
Work will involve:
- Reconstruction and strengthening of pier tops to provide sufficient room for jacking;
- Concrete repairs (which might include cathodic protection) to the approach viaduct piers where deterioration has occurred;
- Strengthening of the steel boxes to facilitate jacking and to address minor assessment deficiencies;
- Installation of permanent steelwork to facilitate this and future bearing replacement at all piers;
- Design, provision and installation of replacement bearings and works associated with removing the existing bearings.
There were six bidders for the contract.