A Glasgow-based security firm has been fined £7,000 following the carbon monoxide poisoning of a man employed as a security guard on a construction site in the city.
Thomas Fraser, 37, died of carbon monoxide poisoning at an on-site flat used as a base for employees. He had been working as a security guard for Alpha Group Security on the construction site in Hamilton.
Hamilton Sheriff Court heard a portable power generator was used inside the flat but that Fraser had not been provided with proper instructions on its safe use.
The generator was operated inside the flat without appropriate ventilation and on 6 February, 2008, Mr Fraser was overcome by a build up of carbon monoxide fumes and died.
Alpha Group Security Ltd pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1), 2 and 33 (a) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.
Following the case, inspector Adrian Tinson said: "This tragic incident should never have happened. It is the clear duty of those who create risks to manage them and to implement safe systems of work.
"This means clear instructions should be provided to contractors and operators and checks made to ensure they understand them.
"It should not be assumed that someone knows how to operate equipment. Responsible management of risk should have ensured the safe set up and use of the portable petrol generator in a well-ventilated area which could have avoided this unnecessary death."
In March 2010, Clyde Valley Housing Association, which subcontracted Alpha Group Security Ltd, was fined £70,000 after pleading guilty to a charge under Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety etc Act 1974.