Construction News

Mon October 26 2020

Related Information

Transport minister refuses funding for key south London station

3 Sep 10 The Department for Transport has refused to contribute £7m of funding towards a key station on the second phase of the East London Line extension.

The Department for Transport has refused to contribute £7m of funding towards a key station on the second phase of the East London Line extension.

The Surrey Canal Road station, to the north of New Cross, would have cost £10m to build. The London Borough of Lewisham had agreed to contribute the £3m.

But minister of state for transport Theresa Villiers said the government would not provide the additional £7m required for construction to proceed due to “funding constraints”.

She said: “In making this decision I was also concerned the scheme would not provide good value for money for the taxpayer.”

Labour MP for Lewisham Deptford Joan Ruddock said: “I am extremely disappointed by this outcome. The business case for the station is robust and I am sorry department officials and the minister have taken a different view.

“It is not a matter of, ‘if’ but ‘when’ the station will be built and I will continue to work with Lewisham Council, Transport for London and local developers to put forward the case.”

Earlier this year, Transport for London invited bidders for the £75m East London Line extension phase II, a contract covering the construction of 1.3km of new railway between Surrey Quays and Queens Road Peckham. A winner is due to be announced in October.

Sign up to our FREE email newsletters or subscribe to our RSS feed for regular updates on the latest construction news, construction tenders, construction data, and construction law.

Got a story? Email news@theconstructionindex.co.uk

MPU

Click here to view more construction news »