Construction News

Tue March 02 2021

Related Information

Anfield expansion plans make progress

24 Apr 14 Liverpool Football Club is aiming to begin construction work on its Anfield stadium expansion plans early next year as final agreement nears in negotiations with neighbouring property owners.

The club has unveiled more details of its stadium expansion plans with detailed proposals for the expansion of its Main Stand and outline proposals for expansion of its Anfield Road Stand.

Liverpool FC is going out to public consultation ahead of lodging a planning application in the summer.

The new Main Stand will comprise three tiers with the existing lower tier re-profiled to accommodate a widened player tunnel, new team benches, media tribune, premium seating and wheelchair viewing positions. Capacity of the Main Stand will increase from 12,000 to 20,500.

The outline proposals for the Anfield Road Stand provide for an increase in its capacity of around 4,800 seats.

Overall stadium capacity will rise to around 54,000.

In October 2012, Liverpool City Council announced its plans to transform the Anfield area with a comprehensive regeneration plan. The club committed to working with the city council and Your Housing Group in support of their delivery of the regeneration plan and also confirmed its preference was to expand Anfield stadium rather than relocate, as had been considered at one stage.

Related Information

Ian Ayre, Liverpool FC managing director, said: "As part of our proposed stadium redevelopment project, we have unveiled the detail of our ambitious plans for an expanded Main Stand and Anfield Road stand and are embarking on a consultation process which will shape and inform our planning application.

"In order to move forward with our expansion plans we need to have certainty that we can navigate the complex planning process and secure the support of the community, local home owners, businesses and other key stakeholders. This consultation exercise is an important part of this process.”

Liverpool City Council has confirmed that negotiations with property owners are progressing well and all parties are close to agreement but there are still details to be finalised.

Following this consultation process, Liverpool FC expects to refine its plans and submit a planning application to the City Council during the summer.

If consent is granted, construction work on the proposed Main Stand could begin early next year and it could be complete in time for the 2016-17 season.

Mayor of Liverpool Joe Anderson said: "This is another important step in our ambitions to transform the Anfield area, bringing new jobs, investment and housing.

"The overall regeneration of Anfield will see £260m invested in the local community and will deliver hundreds of jobs – Liverpool Football Club's proposals for the stadium are a key part of this."

Got a story? Email news@theconstructionindex.co.uk

MPU
MPU

Click here to view more construction news »