Hugh Brendan Markey died in hospital on 12th November 2014, aged 78. An inquest last week determined that he died as a result of exposure to asbestos early in his building career, reports Stroud News & Journal.
Mr Markey began as a self-employed builder in 1963 and built up a business that today, under the management of his sons Paul and Tony, has more than 200 employees.
The inquest heard that Mr Markey had seen a specialist surgeon in 2010 with breathing difficulties. He later suffered a stroke.
County coroner Katy Skerrett said: “It is more likely than not that asbestos exposure was the significant factor causing him to pass.”