The £10.5m contract involves construction of 1.6km of carriageway and two new road bridges to relieve town centre traffic.
Overall project cost to client Somerset County Council is £21m, with grant funding from the Department for Transport and contributions from developers on the line of the new road.
Completion is scheduled for March 2015.
The scheme involves:
- Construction of a new bridge over the River Tone and the canal in the vicinity of Priory Fields business park
- Replacement of the former rail bridge over Station Road to the north of Whitehall
- Replacement of existing foot bridge over the railway at Chip Lane
- Construction of approximately 1.6km of new carriageway together with the realignment of a further 150m of carriageway
- Construction of a new junction at the Chip Lane / Staplegrove Road junction
- Improvements to the existing Priory Bridge Road / Priory Avenue / Priory Park junction
- The provision of pedestrian and cycle facilities.