The ship is moored in Wilmington in the US state after which she is named. She was based in the Pacific Theatre during World War II and decommissioned in 1947 joining the inactive reserve fleet in New Jersey, for the next 14 years. In 1958 the announcement of her impending scrapping led to a statewide campaign by citizens of North Carolina to save her. The campaign was successful and the Battleship arrived in her current berth in October 1961.
As well as the cofferdam, Orion Marine’s heavy civil marine construction business will build a walkway around the perimeter of the ship to allow visitors to see the ship at water level and its surrounding ecosystem.
The project will begin in the second quarter of this year last approximately 16 months.