Construction News

Sun June 20 2021

Related Information

FM contractor fined over plumber’s burns

29 Aug 13 A facilities management company has been fined £12,000 after a worker suffered chemical burns.

A plumber working for Linaker Ltd was carrying out work on a choked wash hand basin at the Hilton Hotel, Edinburgh Airport on 20 November 2009. Drain cleaner he was using leaked onto the floor where he was kneeling. It was not until the next day that he realised how badly he had been burned and subsequently spent nine days in a specialist burns unit and needed months of aftercare.

He did not realise how serious his injuries were until the following day and he subsequently spent nine days in a specialist burns unit and months of aftercare.

Linaker Ltd pled guilty to failing to assess the risks arising from the use of such substances, failing to prevent their employee’s exposure to such substances, and failing to ensure that their employee had received information, instruction and training in relation to the use of such substances.

The firm was fined £12,000, reduced from £18,000 on account of the early plea.

The case was brought by City of Edinburgh Council as in Scotland local authorities are responsible for enforcing health and safety legislation in shops, catering establishments, offices, hotels, residential care homes, leisure and entertainment facilities.

Got a story? Email news@theconstructionindex.co.uk

MPU

Click here to view more construction news »