Construction News

Thu April 15 2021

Related Information

Hong Kong’s harbour clean-up hits new milestone

25 Sep 15 A major step has been completed in cleaning up Hong Kong’s Victoria Harbour, following the commissioning of the expanded sewage treatment works.

A ‘flow-turning’ process has been implemented under the Harbour Area Treatment Scheme Stage 2A to divert sewage to the newly expanded Stonecutters Island Sewage Treatment Works for chemical treatment.

Director of drainage services Edwin Tong said: "The commencement of the flow-turning process is an important milestone for the scheme's Stage 2A. It also marks the commissioning of the newly expanded Stonecutters Island Sewage Treatment Works."

The process will progressively collect sewage that has undergone preliminary treatment and convey it for chemically enhanced primary treatment.

Wan Chai East Preliminary Treatment Works is the first plant to undergo the process, while the remaining seven preliminary treatment works on the northern and southwestern sides of Hong Kong Island will complete the process by the end of November.

The Stonecutters Island Sewage Treatment Works Expansion is one of the major works under Stage 2A. The expanded plant will handle up to 2.45 million cubic metres of sewage a day and serve more than 70% of the population.

Facilities under Stage 1 were commissioned in 2001, providing treatment for 75% of the sewage generated from both sides of the harbour. Stage 2A will treat the remaining 25% of sewage, which comes from the northern and southwestern sides of Hong Kong Island. The facilities are scheduled to enter full operation this year.

Got a story? Email news@theconstructionindex.co.uk

MPU
MPU

Click here to view more construction news »