Last month's announcement that the line is now set to open almost a year later than planned caught the government by surprise (link opens in new tab). Secretary for transport and housing Professor Anthony Cheung said the government has been assessing the impact of the delay to the Express Rail’s Hong Kong section since it was notified of the problem on April 12.
The director of highways has been ordered to conduct an independent review.
Completing the section in 2015 has been the target, based on information from the MTRC, Cheung said. However, on April 12 and 13, the MTRC chief executive officer and chairman said the project will be delayed to 2016, and is expected to be in service in 2017.
The Government and the MTRC will discuss the rail project's progress in the Legislative Council next week and list details of the delay and the construction-monitoring mechanism.