Construction News

Mon August 08 2022

Related Information

Lafarge fined £130,000 after worker engulfed by fireball

9 Nov 10 Lafarge Cement has been prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after a worker was set alight in an explosion.

Electrical engineer, Paul Ridings, of Essex had been contracted to work for Lafarge Cement UK, when he was engulfed by the fireball at the firm’s site at Thurrock Marine Terminal in Grays.

Basildon Crown Court heard that on 10 October 2008, Ridings was investigating a fault with an energy meter when he inadvertently disturbed a loose connection and exposed a strand of wire leading to an electrical explosion.

Ridings’ clothes caught fire and he sustained burns to his face, neck, chest, arms and hands. He received emergency treatment and spent 19 days in the Specialist Burns Unit at Broomfield Hospital.

Since the incident he has undergone numerous skin grafts and operations to remove scar tissue.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Lafarge Cement UK failed to ensure electrical systems were maintained in such a way as to protect workers.

The company admitted breaching sections 2(1) and 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. It was fined £130,000 and ordered to pay costs of £29,742.

HSE inspector David King said: “Every year approximately 20 people die from electrical shocks or burns following incidents at work. Ridings could easily have been killed in this incident.

“It’s clear that in this case the overall arrangements for maintaining electrical assets were inadequate and the health and safety of both staff and contractors were put at risk.

“HSE will proactively prosecute any company exposing workers to these unnecessary risks.”

Got a story? Email


Click here to view more construction news »