The amendment approved by the NSW Minister for Planning included:
- New low rise buildings, with retail/leisure at ground level, creating a more active and vibrant waterfront promenade;
- Increased residential floor area and an improved mix of commercial, leisure, retail, tourism and cultural facilities across the site;
- Improvements to the public realm providing more connections to the waterfront and public spaces;
- Refined massing of buildings to improve solar penetration and view sharing;
- and An iconic landmark hotel on a public harbour pier, enabling the first luxury hotel to be built in Sydney in over a decade
Barangaroo South will support Sydney's growth needs supplying 40 per cent of the forecast demand for prime Sydney office space over the next 10 years. Lend Lease has received expressions of interest from leading financial and professional services organisations seeking to locate their offices at Barangaroo. Interest to date represents over half the commercial area.
Barangaroo South will be delivered in stages. Basement works have been approved and a Project Application has been lodged for the first major commercial building. Lend Lease will submit applications for other buildings over the coming months with the first commercial building programmed to be completed in 2014.
Lend Lease Group Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director, Steve McCann, welcomed the NSW Government’s approval, saying that Barangaroo South is an extraordinary opportunity for Sydney and Lend Lease to demonstrate global leadership in regeneration and sustainable development.
“Barangaroo South is an extremely significant project for Sydney that will create thousands of new jobs and generate major new investment, and we are excited to play a major role in its creation,” said Mr McCann.
“It will be one of the world's most sustainable urban renewal projects, providing large flexible workplaces, and world class architecture and will return over two kilometres of Sydney Harbour waterfront to the people of Sydney.
“Lend Lease will use its expertise and experience in partnership with Government to deliver a vibrant Barangaroo South that Sydneysiders will be proud of for many years to come,” added Mr McCann.