Construction News

Fri April 16 2021

Related Information

Spie makes another utility acquisition

24 Jul 15 Building services engineer Spie has acquired utilities contractor Leven Energy Services.

The acquisition expands Spie’s share of the UK distribution and transmission market and marked is entry into the gas, water and substation sector. It also makes it one of the largest woodpole distribution service providers in the UK by both volume and resource, the company said.

Manchester-based Leven Energy Services, established in 2008, provides a range of engineering and utility services to distribution network operators, including mains replacement, underground cabling and overhead line management. With sales of £36.6m in 2014, the company’s 139 employees are distributed among its head office in Manchester and five satellite depots across the UK.

Leven’s client base includes National Grid, Northern Gas Networks, Electricity North West and Scottish & Southern Energy. With 57% of its business generated from electricity works, it recently signed an eight-year contract with Electricity North West for underground cable works up to 33kV. The remaining 43% of Leven’s business is split between the gas and water sectors.

Related Information

Spie entered the UK power line services market in 2013 with the acquisition of Electricity Network Solutions Ltd (ENS). The combined entity of Spie ENS and Leven will trade as Spie Distribution & Transmission.

Spie UK chief executive James Thoden van Velzen said: “This acquisition is the next step forward after the creation of Spie ENS two years ago when we entered into the power line contracting market. Since then we have been involved in some very exciting projects – including the recently reported network renovation with Northern Ireland Electricity.  We are looking forward to developing our reach further and becoming one of the biggest players in the utility sector.”

Got a story? Email news@theconstructionindex.co.uk

MPU
MPU

Click here to view more construction news »