The two consortia shortlisted earlier this year for the operations, trains and systems (OTS) contract have both lodged their proposals with Transport for NSW on how they plan to run the rail link – the first stage of Sydney’s new rapid transit network.
The two consortia, made up of almost 30 companies from across Australia and around the world, are:
- Northwest Rapid Transit – MTR Corporation (Australia), John Holland, Leighton Contractors, UGL Rail Services, Plenary Group; and
- TransForm – Serco Australia, Bombardier Transportation Australia, SNC-Lavalin Capital, McConnell Dowell Constructors (Aust), John Laing Investments, Macquarie Capital Group.
The two proposals will be assessed before the NSW Government awards the multi-billion dollar contract in the second half of next year.
“The cream of the crop from across Australia and around the world have put a massive amount of work into these proposals – to ensure we deliver the best project for our customers,” said transport minister Gladys Berejiklian.
The contract includes:
- building the eight new railway stations;
- delivering the commuter car parks for 4,000 cars;
- supplying the new generation rapid transit single deck trains;
- building and operating the stabling and maintenance facility at Tallawong Road;
- installing tracks, signalling, mechanical and electrical systems;
- converting the Epping to Chatswood Rail Link for the new rapid transit system; and
- operating the North West Rail Link – including all maintenance work.
The contract will be delivered as a public-private partnership (PPP), subject to value-for-money criteria being met. It is one of three major contracts to deliver the North West Rail Link. The AU$1.15bn tunnelling contract was awarded in June this year to deliver Australia’s longest rail tunnels – 15km twin tunnels from Bella Vista to Epping. The first tunnel boring machine will be in the ground next year. The to build the 4km elevated skytrain from Bella Vista to Rouse Hill and other surface works is expected to be awarded before the end of this year.