Highways England says it will complete or lift 448 miles of roadworks on the English motorway and truck road network by 6am on Friday 23rd December, leaving just 190 carriageway miles of the 9,534-mile network under cones.
Where uncompleted roadworks are lifted for the break, work will resume on Tuesday 3rd January.
Schemes being completed in time for Christmas include:
- Skanska’s £191m improvement scheme at Catthorpe Junction 19 of the M1
- work to upgrade 5.4 miles of the M1 between junction 34 for Meadowhall and Rotherham
- junction 35a for the A616 Stocksbridge bypass in Sheffield
- upgrade of the Chain Bar junction where the M62 meets the M606
- the £100m upgrade of the M25/A13 junction near the Lakeside retail park.