Charges brought over Claxton deaths
The Health & Safety Executive has charged four parties with safety offences relating to the deaths of four groundworkers at Claxton Engineering Services’ yard in Great Yarmouth in 2011.
Adam Taylor, Peter Johnson and brothers Thomas and Daniel Hazelton were erecting a large steel reinforcing cage in an excavated foundation pit for a new high-pressure test bay. They worked for Hazegood Construction. They were all killed when the 13-tonne structure collapsed on top of them.
An inquest in February 2014 returned a verdict of accidental death. After completing its investigation into the incident, the HSE has charged:
- Claxton Engineering Services Ltd of Ferryside, Ferry Road, Norwich, Norfolk, under Section 3 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 (HSWA)
- Encompass Project Management Ltd, of The Gables, Old Market Street, Thetford, Norfolk, under Section 3 HSWA
- David Groucott, director of Encompass Project Management Ltd, under Section 37 of HSWA
- Hazegood Construction Ltd, of Bury Lodge, Bury Road, Stowmarket, Suffolk, under Sections 2 and 3 of HSWA.
The defendants have been summoned to appear at Great Yarmouth Magistrates’ Court at 2pm on 2nd February 2016.
- Click here to return to the previous page
- Subscribe to our free construction newsletters
- Buy & Sell Construction Plant Machinery online with TCiTrader.co.uk. Find new, used & reconditioned Construction Equipment. Click here to view Construction Equipment Classifieds.
Download our free construction news iPhone / iPad app. Sign up to our FREE email newsletters or subscribe to our RSS feed for regular updates on the latest Construction News, Plant News, Contract News & Supplier News. The Construction Index also provides the latest Construction Tenders, Construction Market Data & Construction Law Commentary all FREE.
This article was published on 27 Jan 2016 (last updated on 27 Jan 2016).