Go-ahead for next £1bn phase of MediaCityUK
Developer Peel Group has secured planning permission to double the size of its MediaCityUK estate in Salford.
The £1bn extension is set to see construction of more than 1,400 new homes and 50,000 m2 of offices across 10 new buildings over the next 10 years.
MediaCityUK is already home to the BBC, ITV, The Lowry, dock10 studios, apartments and hotels, restaurants, cafés and bars, the University of Salford, Salford City College and the UTC.
Salford city mayor Paul Dennett said that this was the second phase of a 20-year plan to transform the former docklands. “Back in 2006, Salford City Council granted planning permission for 15.1 hectares of development. Phase one has successfully been completed and now we are moving towards the second phase which will see MediaCityUK double in size,” he said.
“This phase will focus on creating welcoming neighbourhoods where people can live and work, socialise and enjoy events. It’s a very exciting development for Salford. With the University of Salford, Salford City College and the UTC now all based in MediaCityUK and training young people for the media and creative industries, we’re not only growing the buildings, we’re growing the people to work in them and the global digital media and communications industry.
“This is all part of a major building boom in Salford which is bringing thousands of new homes and square metres of business accommodation to our city creating further jobs and opportunities on our doorstep for the people of Salford.”
The phase two site, for which planning permission has now been granted extends across eight plots on the north eastern part of the site. Each plot has been designed by a different architect, with a sixth firm co-ordinating the overall layout.
Among the plans are:
- The Arcade – retail/leisure and office space around a pedestrian arcade with office space above.
- Studio Square – office building and small park.
- Georgian Square – a public courtyard, a six-storey podium on top of which would be two blocks of flats of 14 and 25 storeys with residents terraces, and 18 three-storey live/work units and separate commercial office space.
- Market Square – a ‘village hall’ with seating for dining and square for markets and events.
- London Square – 14 three-storey town houses with 460 apartments on the upper floors, and gym, cinema room and shared office space.
- Northern Edge – a new gateway to MediaCityUK comprising three buildings with 632 apartments, six two-storey live/work units, office space, retail and leisure uses, a cycle hub and three multi-storey car parks.
- Click here to return to the previous page
- Subscribe to our free construction newsletters
- Buy & Sell Construction Plant Machinery online with TCiTrader.co.uk. Find new, used & reconditioned Construction Equipment. Click here to view Construction Equipment Classifieds.
Download our free construction news iPhone / iPad app. Sign up to our FREE email newsletters or subscribe to our RSS feed for regular updates on the latest Construction News, Plant News, Contract News & Supplier News. The Construction Index also provides the latest Construction Tenders, Construction Market Data & Construction Law Commentary all FREE.
This article was published on 2 Sep 2016 (last updated on 5 Sep 2016).