London mayor backs Gatwick over Heathrow
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has said that Gatwick should get government backing for a second runway ahead of the recommended option of a third runway at Heathrow.
Sadiq Khan said: “The new prime minister has a very important decision to make regarding new airport capacity, and I urge her to rule as swiftly as possible in favour of a second runway at Gatwick, which would bring substantial economic benefits."
He was speaking during a visit to Gatwick today to hear about the airport’s plans to increase its capital spending by £200m to improve its facilities. This means that the total invested on the airport since new owners took over in 2009 through to 2021 will be £2.5bn.
Some of the projects identified in the 2016-21 capital investment programme announced today include:
- more/bigger shops
- expansion of both departure lounges and immigration halls
- additional aircraft parking stands and taxiway improvements.
Mayor Khan said: “Gatwick is the front door to London for millions of visitors to our city and I salute their decision to spend another £200m on improvements to the airport. They have put together a formidable plan that is a fantastic display of their confidence in London.”
- Click here to return to the previous page
- Subscribe to our free construction newsletters
- Buy & Sell Construction Plant Machinery online with TCiTrader.co.uk. Find new, used & reconditioned Construction Equipment. Click here to view Construction Equipment Classifieds.
Download our free construction news iPhone / iPad app. Sign up to our FREE email newsletters or subscribe to our RSS feed for regular updates on the latest Construction News, Plant News, Contract News & Supplier News. The Construction Index also provides the latest Construction Tenders, Construction Market Data & Construction Law Commentary all FREE.
This article was published on 15 Jul 2016 (last updated on 15 Jul 2016).