Blackpool Counicl is advertising a contract to build a 550-metre double-track extension of the Blackpool and Fleetwood Tramway from North Pier to North Station.
The proposals will re-establish the link to North Station, which ceased operation in 1936, and will provide direct services from North Station to the north and south of the town.
The tramway extension is also expected to support development and regeneration of the Talbot Gateway area of the town. Talbot Square will be remodelled as part of the works to provide segregation of trams and highway traffic.
Blackpool Council has applied to the secretary of state for transport for powers under the Transport & Works Act to construct and operate the proposed extension.
The council hopes that construction can start at the beginning of 2018. It is anticipated that the proposed tramway extension will take up to 16 months to construct, with services to North Station starting by April 2019.
Tenders or requests to participate must be submitted electronically via: procontract.due-north.com
A bit of history
The Blackpool Tramway is the only original tramway in Britain to remain in continuous operation. Now more than 130 years old, the first section was opened in 1885 between Cocker Street, near Talbot Square, and Dean Street near South Pier.
The present 18km route between Starr Gate and Fleetwood was established by linking the Blackpool Corporation Tramway to the Fleetwood line in 1900 and the further extension to Starr Gate in 1926.
The Blackpool Improvement Act 1899 granted Blackpool Corporation Tramway the powers to operate a tramway along the current proposed extension route from North Pier to the North Railway Station and then beyond to Layton which opened on 18 June 1902.
Blackpool Improvement Act 1901 granted powers for the single track route up Talbot Road to become a double line and the map shows the double track granted.
The Layton tramway route ceased passenger operation at the end of the summer season on 19th October 1936.