The contract notice is published in today’s edition of Tenders Electronic Daily: Supplement to the Official Journal of the EU.
Publication of the tender documentation was announced by the chancellor of the exchequer George Osborne last week during an official visit to China. [See previous report here.]
The Phase 1 civils works, for the line between London and Birmingham, have been divided into seven work packages:
- South 1: Euston Tunnels and Approaches — the tunnels between Old Oak Common and Euston stations, the Old Oak Common station box and the Euston station approaches (Lot 1). Estimated contract value £600m-£900m.
- South 2: Northolt Tunnels — Old Oak Common Tunnel, Northolt Tunnel, Victoria Road Crossover Box and Northolt Tunnel West Portal to Harvill Road (Lot 2). Estimated contract value £850m to £1.4bn.
- Central 1: Chiltern Tunnel and Colne Valley Viaduct — Colne Viaduct, Tile House Chiltern Portal, Chiltern South Portal and Chiltern Tunnel (Lot 3). Estimated contract value £800m to £1.3bn.
- Central 2: North Portal Chiltern Tunnels to Brackley — Surface Route and Calvert Maintenance Depot (Lot 4). Estimated contract value £800m to £1.3bn.
- Central 3: Brackley to South Portal of Long Itchington Wood Green Tunnel — Surface Route (Lot 5). Estimated contract value £600m to £900m.
- North 1: Long Itchington Wood Green Tunnel to Delta Junction and Birmingham Spur — Long Itchington to Delta and Birmingham Spur, including Washwood Heath Control Centre (Lot 6). Estimated contract value £900m to £1.5bn.
- North 2: Delta Junction to West Coast Main Line tie-in — Main Line, North Chord, Leeds Spur and Birmingham Spur East (Lot 7). Estimated contract value £800m to £1.3bn.
Would-be bidders have until 19th November to register their interest in being invited to tender. Tenderers may apply to be invited to tender for one or more of the seven lots. However, HS2 Ltd does not intend to allow any contracting team to bid for more than four Lots, or to award more than two lots to any contractor.
Therefore, since there are seven lots in total, there is likely to be between four and seven contracting teams that win a share of the work.