In what is being claimed as an industry first, Offsite Solutions’s new steel-framed utility pods are designed to accommodate all the mechanical, heating, technology and building services for individual apartments or studios for residential schemes.
The utility rooms can be delivered to site pre-plumbed, pre-wired and fully fitted out to reduce installation time to ‘just a few hours’, the company says. They would typically be located in a hallway within an apartment, adjacent to the kitchen, and have an open-fronted design ready for the fitting of double doors or the addition of a stud wall on site.
Each pod can be installed ready-fitted with:
- heat interface units (HIUs) to deliver hot water and heating for each home, avoiding the need for individual gas boilers
- mechanical ventilation and heat recovery (MVHR) units to circulate fresh air and recover heat for energy-efficient re-use
- consumer unit for electrics
- provision for washing machine and tumble drier
- manifold, controls and thermostat for underfloor heating
- connection boxes for broadband, telephone and TV services
- power sockets and lighting
- pipework, ducting and waste pipes
- worktop and flooring options.
Offsite Solutions supplies 10,000 pod units every year to major contractors and developers, it says.
Executive director Richard Tonkinson said: “The proven advantages of our bathroom pods and factory production methods apply to the new utility pods – programme reductions, improved cost certainty, increased efficiency, less risk, reduced requirement for materials, labour and supervision on site, less impact on the environment, and significantly improved quality."
Thank you for reading this story on The Construction Index website. Our editorial independence means that we set our own agenda and where we feel it necessary to voice opinions, they are ours alone, uninfluenced by advertisers, sponsors or corporate proprietors.
Inevitably, there is a financial cost to this service and we now need your support to keep delivering quality trusted journalism. Please consider supporting us, by purchasing our magazine, which is currently just £1 per issue. Order online now. Thanks for your support.