There are fresh fears in the construction sector that the £55bn Building Schools for the Future programme will feel the government axe in Tuesday budget.
After cutting billions of pounds-worth of projects yesterday, the government said that BSF was not among the suspended programmes, and that individual projects would continue as planned.
However, a review of the scheme is being carried out by the Department for Education, which could mean cuts to BSF are announced next week.
Chief Secretary to the Treasury Danny Alexander said: “The Government inherited a large number of school building projects approved in recent months as part of the BSF programme.
“The education secretary has previously announced that he is looking at the whole BSF programme, including those projects entered into before 1 January.
“Tough decisions will need to be made on reducing costs and addressing where spending has been over-committed. The secretary of state will set out next steps shortly.”