The cuts announced to the £55bn Building Schools for the Future programme earlier this week are even more severe than first thought, after the Education Secretary Michael Gove admitted there were errors in his original announcement.
On Tuesday, the Department for Education published details of the BSF schemes which would proceed and those which were being halted – but has since conceded that there 25 mistakes in the list of schools affected.
It means that some schools who though their rebuilding programmes were safe are now destined for the axe. The borough of Sandwell in the West Midlands is the worst affected.
"I wish to apologise for the inaccurate information on the list," Gove told parliament.
"A number of schools were miscategorised and for that I apologise. That confusion caused members of this house and members of the public understandable distress and concern and I wish to take full personal responsibility for that regrettable error."
Gove added that the mistake was his alone as he was ultimately responsible for checking the information was correct.
"We have sought to ensure that the list that is now supplied is as complete as possible and is as accurate as possible," he said.