William Anelay, a specialist in restoring historic buildings, has won the contract to restore the historic Florence Institute in Liverpool.
Known locally as the Florrie, the Grade II listed Florence Institute was built in 1889 as Britain’s first purpose-built boys’ youth club. It was built in the rough docks area by former mayor of Liverpool Sir Bernard Hall as a memorial for his daughter Florence after she died at the age of 22. Sir Bernard had made his money trading in the West Indies.
A notable Liverpool landmark, the building has fallen victim to vandalism and disrepair since it was closed in 1988. Its restoration has been the subject of much local campaigning. With funding now secured by the Florence Institute Trust from sources including the Heritage Lottery Fund and the Northwest Regional Development Agency, and with a contractor appointed, work begins.
Under a £4.7 million contract, William Anelay will create a local community, small businesses and heritage venue. The building will include exhibition and performance space, activities for young people and the elderly, an indoor/outdoor sport area, childcare facilities, workspaces for local business and a Heritage Resource Centre.
The scope of works involves repairs to the internal and external fabric, including brick and terracotta work, roofing and leadwork, windows, new floors and restoration of internal decorative features.
William Anelay is one of Britain’s oldest building companies, having been established in 1747. Based near York, it specialises in the restoration, conservation and refurbishment of listed and historic buildings and properties. Its recent or current projects include work at Castle Howard and Althorp House.