Construction News

Mon April 12 2021

Related Information

Australian court convicts Irish building gang members

13 Apr 15 An Australian court has convicted a second member of an Irish building gang that targeted vulnerable and elderly people.

Richard Kiely was convicted and fined AU$6,000 (£3,150) in his absence by Brisbane Magistrates Court for carrying out unlawful building work and for failing to use a written contract for the work. He faces 60 days’ imprisonment if he fails to pay the fine.

The conviction was the result of months of investigative work by officers from the Queensland Building & Construction Commission (QBCC).

QBCC commissioner, Steve Griffin, said that his staff had liaised with Victorian government authorities and Australian Federal Police, who served a summons on Kiely at Melbourne International Airport shortly before he left the country.

Kiely was convicted in his absence but the court’s magistrate said that it was important to impose a deterrent and that immigration authorities would be notified of the conviction, should Kiely attempt to re-enter Australia.

In October 2013, Kiely verbally quoted a home owner AU$5,000 to construct a fence, retaining wall and to do concreting work. The home owner paid AU$4,000 cash to Kiely, who completed only half the work.

Earlier this year, another reported member of the gang, Michael O’Brien, was convicted and fined AU$8,000 for unlicensed contracting in Sandgate Magistrates Court, Brisbane.

O’Brien failed to appear but in his absence was convicted and fined for quoting AU$5,500 to repair a roof, despite being unlicensed. If he fails to pay the fine he faces 80 days’ imprisonment.

Got a story? Email news@theconstructionindex.co.uk

MPU
MPU

Click here to view more construction news »