The three nations councils are part of the new corporate governance structure of the CITB that is associated with its withdrawal from direct training provision.
The councils are expected to provide strategic advice to the board to better meet industry’s skills training needs.
Industry consultation last year that informed the restructure revealed widespread desire for less bureaucracy and more democratic industry representation; these new councils address at least one of these demands.
The chairs of the three councils were named in July: Clancy Docwra chief executive Seamus Keogh for England; Robertson Group human resource director Tony Elliott for Scotland; and Bouygues UK business development director Leigh Hughes for Wales.
They are now be joined by nine council members, representing a cross-section of the industry. The councils will have their first meetings this autumn.
The members of each council are:
Nation council – England
- Chair, Seamus Keogh – chief executive, Clancy Docwra
- Diane Bourne – managing director, Eric Wright Civil Engineering & Group
- Chris Carr – joint managing director, Carr & Carr (Builders)
- James Flannery – construction director, Cunard Construction
- Andrew Harvey – managing director, Harvey Shopfitters
- Chris Last – group HR director, Kier Construction
- Sharon Llewellyn – risk managements and projects director, JPR Roofing & Flooring
- Ged Simmonds – business unit director, Mace
- Rob Tansey – group HR director, Barrett Developments
- Julie White – managing director, D-Drill (Masters Drillers)
Nation council – Scotland
- Chair, Tony Elliott, group HR director, Robertson Group
- Zeshan Afzal – site manager, BAM Construction UK
- Nicola Barclay – chief executive, Homes for Scotland
- Mark Bramley – operations director, Pat Munro (Alness)
- Craig Bruce – joint managing director, Pert Bruce Construction
- Marion Forbes, director, Mactaggart and Mickel Homes
- Michael Smyth – HR director, Graham Construction
- Richard Steedman – managing director, Cameron Drywall Contractors
- Jim Young – construction director, Chap Group (Aberdeen)
- Appointment to be made
Nation council – Cymru Wales
- Chair, Leigh Hughes – business development & social value director, Bouygues
- Gareth Davies – construction director, Knox & Wells
- Andrea Green – customer experience director, Costain
- Jenny Hudson – commercial director, GM Jones
- Simon Jehu – managing director of development, Jehu Group
- Owain Jones – director, T Richard Jones (Betws)
- Richard Owen, training and workforce manager, Jones Bros
- Neal Stephens – managing director of construction South Wales, Willmott Dixon
- Paul Tedder – director and co-owner, Atlantic Dwellings
- Appointment to be made
The Wales and Scotland Nations Council are still recruiting one member.
CITB chair Peter Lauener said: “I’m excited to see the breadth and depth of talent we have on our three nations councils. They will be a clear and strong voice for industry within CITB and will help us become a more relevant and responsive organisation.”