Construction News

Fri November 22 2019

Related Information

Community service order for height safety breach

11 Apr 17 A Birmingham electrician has been given a community service order after his trainee fell through a plasterboard ceiling.

Birmingham Magistrates’ Court heard that apprentice electrician Soheil Afrapour spent 23 days in hospital after suffering head injuries. He was installing wiring above the false ceiling for Soheil Alipour.

A Health & Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found there was no proper planning for work at height and Mr Alipour did not fulfil his duty of care.

Soheil Alipour of Selly Oak, Birmingham, pleaded guilty to breaching Work at Height Regulations 9(2) 2005. He was ordered to do 120 hours of unpaid community work and pay full costs of £1,152.24.

HSE inspector Gareth Langston said: “It’s important that employers put the safety of their workers, especially young inexperienced apprentices, at the forefront of their plans and consider precautions when working at height. This incident could have been prevented if there was proper planning in place using boards above or scaffolding below.”

Got a story? Email news@theconstructionindex.co.uk

MPU

Latest News

Click here to view more construction news »