Construction News

Sun April 11 2021

Related Information

Liverpool Mutual keeps £200m maintenance deal in-house

29 Apr 15 Liverpool Mutual Homes has awarded a £200m repair and maintenance contract to its subsidiary Housing Maintenance Solutions (HMS).

Both parties insist that the contract award followed “a thorough and robust market testing exercise, which fully complied with EU public procurement requirements”.

HMS is expected to carry out work on 15,000 homes over the next four years, providing a maximum of 75% of all of Liverpool Mutual repair and maintenance work. The remaining 25% will go out to tender.

The contract includes investment projects that will see HMS provide environmental works and refurbishment of empty homes.

Liverpool Mutual Homes chief executive Steve Coffey said: “This structure gives us the best of both worlds, enabling us to deliver the highest quality services for tenants at very low risk and always achieving a market price. It means work can be carried out quicker, we can build a closer relationship with one predominant contractor and tenants will become accustomed to knowing what HMS is, does and stands for.

“We are delighted this work was won by HMS as not only does it provide LMH with very competitive rates but we can also reinvest the profits it makes into our social dividend which is a fund that supports initiatives that address deprivation, promote inclusion and support communities.

“This profit – £3.4m in 2013/14 – would otherwise be lost to tenants if we chose an independent contractor.

“The works which are not carried out by HMS will see us go out to tender so we are competitive and it keeps us in touch with market values.”

Related Information

HMS managing director Paul Worthington said: “Winning a contract of this magnitude reflects the position and capacity of the company. A four-year contract gives us the opportunity to plan and deliver co-ordinated services.

“We have a strong foundation having provided a consistently high standard of maintenance for LMH over the past year and now we can focus on streamlining our services to meet the demands of tenants even better.”

HMS is holding a supplier day on 27th May at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Speke to strengthen its team with local trade and technical staff. Attendees will be given an overview of HMS and the opportunity to ask questions.

“We are committed to supporting and developing employment and businesses in the areas where we work,” Mr Worthington said.

“We are looking for plasterers, roofers, plumbers, gas engineers, electricians, CAD technicians, tilers, joiners, bricklayers, cleaners, general builders, painters and decorators, quantity surveyors, planners and schedulers and ground workers.”

Those wanting to attend should register by emailing info@housing-maintenance.co.uk

Got a story? Email news@theconstructionindex.co.uk

MPU
MPU

Click here to view more construction news »