Morrison Facilities, which is now owned by Mears, primarily undertakes repair and maintenance work on council housing in the Rotherham area.
The unions Ucatt, Unite, GMB and Unison are all involved in the dispute.
Ucatt said that the dispute was over several industrial relations issues including:
- The re-instatement of dismissed operatives
- Company policies and how they are implemented
- How human resources handle disciplinary issues
- Vehicle checks not being made in work time
- Workers expected to store tools at home
- Threat to de-recognise unions and treatment of shop stewards.
Ucatt regional secretary Rob Morris said: “Ucatt has done everything possible to try to resolve these issues without resorting to industrial action. However management have refused to recognise our concerns so we have had no option but to seek a mandate for strike action from our members.”
The ballot opened on the 24th September and closes on Wednesday 8th October.