This is in addition to the £59m local infrastructure fund announced at the last Autumn Statement.
The money will go to 18 infrastructure projects in 13 enterprise zones. Most of the projects are site preparation works, access roads or junction improvements to make developments feasible.
HCA chief executive Andy Rose said: “The response from the enterprise zones to this investment opportunity demonstrates just how crucial upfront infrastructure is to development. It is great news that this additional investment means more priority sites can be funded than first thought, creating more jobs in the areas that need them. We will now work with partners to refine the bids and ensure the investment is helping to maximise economic growth in local communities.
This funding is in addition to the £24m allocated on 31 May to five enterprise zones to tackle traffic bottlenecks and road congestion. This was the second tranche of funding from the £170m Local Pinch Point Fund. This funding went to:
- Birmingham City Centre enterprise zone has received £5.9m for two projects: enhancements to relieve congestion and safety concerns on the city’s ring road, and expansion of facilities at three park-and-ride sites.
- Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft enterprise zone has received £9.4m for two projects: a new link road to unlock housing development and employment land to the west of the enterprise zone, and for phase 5 of the Lowestoft Northern Spine Road. The scheme will provide a 1.1 km new single carriageway and shared walk/cycleway between the Millennium Way/Bentley Drive roundabout and north of the Blundeston Road junction on the A12.
- Science Vale UK enterprise Zone in Oxfordshire has received £5m for the provision of an ‘hamburger’ style roundabout to help manage traffic onto the A34.
- North East enterprise zone received £1.8m for improvements at three junctions to support the development of the Sunderland Low Carbon Zone. They are at intersections of the A19 with the A1231, A183 and A690.
- Black Country enterprise zone received £2.5m to improve the road from Headway Road to Patshull Avenue.