South Shore Academy is one of 12 schools being rebuilt by Morgan Sindall under the Education Funding Agency’s (EFA) priority school building programme (PSBP) northwest batch. Morgan Sindall won the contract in consortium with asset finance company Equitix in August 2014. All 12 schools are being rebuilt on adjacent land within the school boundary. On completion of the new school, the old school is knocked down and the site landscaped.
Plans for the Blackpool school will see two new buildings constructed: a three-storey main building and a single storey sports hall, with a combined floor area of almost 5,000m².
The four existing school buildings will eventually be demolished and replaced by a car park.
Construction work is due to be completed in time for the start of the academic school year in September 2017.
Morgan Sindall area director Barry Roberts said: “As with all of our construction work, we set out to not only cause minimal disruption to school life, but also to complement the teaching on offer by providing access to work placements and careers advice for pupils interested in the construction industry.”
The PSBP northwest batch comprises:
- Blacon High School, Blacon, Chester
- The Deanery Church of England High School and Sixth Form College, Wigan
- Neston High School, Neston, Wirral
- Ridgeway High School, Prenton, Wirral
- South Shore Academy, Blackpool
- Bedford Drive Primary School, Birkenhead
- Bridge Hall Primary School, Stockport
- Dee Point Primary School, Blacon, Chester
- Halebank Primary School, Halebank, Halton
- Hawes Side Primary School, Blackpool
- JH Godwin Primary School, Blacon, Chester
- Plymouth Grove Primary School, Manchester