The warning comes from the Health & Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) after inspectors found widespread use of damaged or defective boards.
Contractors are advised to use only boards that are marked as manufactured to BS 2482:2009 and are undamaged. They should also be inspected before use, and regularly thereafter.
Boards showing any sign of rot or damage, including cracks or loose knots, should not be used
Examples of misuse found by HSENI inspectors on site visits include:
- using boards to assist vehicles over soft ground
- driving vehicles over boards accidentally
- using boards as ramps for wheel barrow access
- throwing or dropping boards from heights
- over-loading or storing heavy objects on boards.