Kodak’s first facility to open outside the USA was on a seven-acre plot in Harrow, north London. Opening in 1891, the site was originally used to develop photographs. They kept around 100 hens on site to produce the egg white required to coat the paper.
As the factory expanded, production of film rolls started, along with the manufacture of photographic paper. By the 1950s Kodak was the largest manufacturing plant in the British Commonwealth and employed around 6,000 staff.